The whole point of writing copy is to target the pain points of your audience and help them find a solution. But that’s nearly impossible to do if you have no idea what your audience wants (or most importantly, what they don’t want).
You may be thinking right about now, “So, what does my target audience want?” While this is an important question, the question that you really should be starting out with is:
“What does everybody want?”
Not in a broad sense. Realistically, everyone’s wants and needs can initially be categorized into one or some of what author Drew Eric Whitman calls, “The Life-Force 8.”
What is the Life-Force 8?
The LF8 is composed of the 8 desires that are biologically wired in the human race. In other words, we are all driven by these desires as a means of survival:
- The Enjoyment of Food, Water & Beverages – Being able to enjoy the best quality food, clean water, and the healthiest or expensive beverages.
- Survival, Life Extension, & The Enjoyment of Life – The subconscious desire to live forever, or as long as possible, and to enjoy life to the fullest.
- Freedom From Fear, Danger or Pain – Nobody wants to feel scared, feel pain, or feel like they’re in danger or threatened.
- Sexual Companionship – Sex is probably the most powerful of all our human desires. Consistent and fulfilling sex with a competent partner is usually at the top of everybody’s list of desires.
- Luxury, Comfortable Living Conditions – Living in luxury, or comfortable living conditions is definitely a big desire for us.
- Superiority, To be a Winner, Staying Ahead of the Curve – Superiority is power, and being a winner is superior. Staying ahead of the game while everyone else is still catching up is a desire buried deep within all of us.
- Care & Protection of Loved Ones – Knowing that our families, friends and loved ones are safe and taken care of is more innate than we give ourselves credit for.
- Social Approval – The desire to be accepted by our peers is a very powerful desire that we all have.
It is impossible for any of us to shake these desires. In fact, without these desires, people can tend to feel out of place, insecure, lonely or worse – inadequate. Your goal is to develop a product or service that caters to their deepest wants and desires.
Luckily, you can pretty much guarantee that no matter what your target audience truly wants, their wants and needs derive from one or multiple desires of the LF8.
For more copywriting tips and secrets, check out JDCopywriting.com.